Museum Web sites from around the world were nominated, provided they have been launched or significantly updated in 2007. Nominations closed February 1, 2008.Sites were be reviewed by an independent panel of judges. Categories are:
- On-line Exhibition
- Educational Site
- Museum Professional's Site
- Research Site
- Online Community or Service
- Podcast (Audio / Video)
- Innovative or Experimental Site
- Best Overall Museum Site, selected by the judges from all of the sites nominated.
Be sure to review the category definitions carefully before suggesting a site. Sites do much better when they are considered in the right context.
Sites are put forward for the Best of the Web in an open nomination process. Anyone can nominate a site, and nominations of sites other than your own are encouraged. Sites from anywhere in the world are eligible, provided they have been launched or significantly updated in 2007. The process has been reviewed in an on-line discussion.
See the list of sites nominated.
- Jennifer Trant, Archives & Museum Informatics, Canada
- Dana Allen-Greil, Smithsonian National Museum of American History, USA
- Steven Beasley, Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago, USA
- Katherine Burton Jones, Harvard University, USA
- Jim Devine, Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery, Scotland
- Ian Edelman, Hampshire County Council, United Kingdom
- Karen Elinich, Franklin Institute, USA
- Peter Gorgels, Rijksmuseum, The Netherlands
- David Greenfield, Loyola Marymount University, USA
- Kate Haley Goldman, Institute for Learning Innovation, USA
- Tana Hargest, Elizabeth Foundation for the Arts, USA
- Kajsa Hartig, Nordiska museet, Sweden
- Douglas Hegley, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, USA
- Brad Larson, Brad Larson Media, Inc., USA
- Marjo Mäenpää, University of Art and Design, Helsinki, Finland
- Lawrence Monda, National Museums of Kenya, Kenya
- André-Claude Potvin, Ogilvy 2B Interactive, Canada
- Tim Svenonius, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, USA
- Marcia Tiede, University of Arizona Libraries, USA
- Corey Timpson, Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN), Canada
- Bruce Wyman, Denver Art Museum, USA
Others may be added. If you are interested in helping out, contact
The judges will all use the same set of guidelines and criteria when reviewing nominated sites.
Conflict of Interest
No site will be considered for a Best of the Web Award, if a judge is associated with it in any way. Nominated sites will be reviewed before judging begins to ensure no conflicts exist. Judges associated with nominated sites will be asked to step down from the panel, or have the site withdrawn from competition.